Saturday, January 30, 2010

Catching Up! January 30th

I'm still here... I'm sure some of you have been wondering where I've been! Well, I haven't been feeling good lately... I started having a bad reaction to the birth control pills I was on. I was only on them for 2 months, but I was getting tons of migraines, and in general, feeling tired and horrible. It's not like I really "need" them, as the guy I was seeing is still having MAJOR problems, so I haven't the slightest idea when I'll be seeing him again. And if I can go on a birth control pill rant for a moment... I swear, they seem to be getting more and more dangerous! There are more warnings, side effects, and lawsuits than EVER before. I was on them for around 6 months to a year a few years ago to regulate my period and didn't have nearly the same problems I had before (and I went on the EXACT same brand... not the generic version)! Does anyone else have experiences to share about this topic? Just curious to know... Because this time around, I found "the pill" intolerable. I'm doing a little better since going off them over a week ago, but it may take a month or more to fully leave my system. :/

Back to what my blog is about... food! So there has been a lot of catching up to do there... Here are just some of my eats over the past week or two.

My usual eats from Wild Ginger... God I LOVE that place.




Pizza from Famous Ben's Pizza of Soho.


My usual favorites from Qi Asian Eatery...



A Trader Joe's grocery haul...



And I want to do a quick product review for a brand new Wallaby "Down Under" yogurt! (Plus you get a view of my bedroom, since I forgot to take the pic in the kitchen!)

Now I LOVE all of the Wallaby "Down Under" yogurts, with the fruit on the bottom, and have tried them all, but I found this new caramel apple one at the Whole Foods in Chelsea the other day. I love fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts as a rule, but I love the fact that Wallaby's are organic too. This particular flavor tasted like it sounds... basically like an apple pie! I can't wait to buy more of these! (And for reference, my favorites are the caramel apple, peach, berries & cream, and strawberries & cream ones. Although I also like the mango tangerine, pink grapefruit, and chocolate ones as well. So basically, they're ALL good, although the caramel apple one is a real winner! :)

And here's a little of Peanut...




It is SO unbelievably cold here in NYC today, so this afternoon I decided to do some baking! I made some Ghirardelli brownies... I love the ultimate fudge ones.


Ok, that's all for now! I may be updating more tomorrow, but if not, then probably by the 1st!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the BC difficulties- I have been scared to try them because the list of warnings seems to grow longer by the day... Hope you are talking it through with your doctor.

Yay for Wild Ginger! I was thinking about our lunch earlier! I got the Babycakes cookbook for Christmas :)

I am hoping to come to NY in the summer...reunion! I never did make it to Quantum or Red Bamboo!

Gar said...

Wild Ginger offers some nice, healthy lunch specials too. I've yet to try Qi.

Take care - :)

Anonymous said...

i was on birth control pills for over 2 years. sadness, right? i just stopped.

anything you want to know, i probably have experienced it lol.

anyways, I WENT TO TRADER JOE"S TODAY! =D
omg. your haul is better than mine- just almonds, pb, and nature's path cereal! =D

how are you! =D hugs!

MJC said...

Ellie ~ Would love to see you again this summer! We definitely have to go to Quantum. I've been there several times already since I first went there in October.

Gar ~ You're right they do have a lot of amazing lunch specials, but I never get them because I love to get my pineapple fried rice so much!

Tra ~ Yes, birth controls are a nightmare and it seems they're only getting worse. This is 2010, shouldn't they be better?!?! And glad to hear you went to Trader Joe's! Now I gave you some stuff to get in your next haul! :)

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Cute kitty! Those dumplings look so yummy!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours is great, too. :)

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry about your trouble with the birth control pill. i don't take them but i know what you mean when you say your body reacts completely different to the exact same drug. i guess it just show that we are no mashines but super sensitive human beings and that our body does not like to be brought out of balance by drugs.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the pill troubles... that definitely sucks.

<3 <3

Gabriela said...

Hey girl! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love all your eats...Wild Ginger looks fantastic! I agree, NY was WAY too cold today. No fun. Can't wait to read more and enjoy your Sunday!

BTW- the cat picture at the top is ADORABLE!!

Anonymous said...

I've never taken birth control pills and never intend to. I just don't like the idea of taking a pill for what could be years that messes with your body. I use other forms of contreception.

Taylor

lynn @ the actors diet said...

love those quiches from tj's....reasonably priced, as well!!!

Healthy. Happy. Well. said...

I love Trader Joe's! One of my fav places to spend an afternoon actually. But about BC. I was on birth control for about 3 years and tried just about every type..pill, ring, patch. Everything made me feel flu-like, anxious, moody and I also got really bad migraines. The side effects were so horrible that I had to stop taking it. The hormones in them can really affect some people while not doing a thing to others. I hope you get it all worked out when you see your doctor!

Missy said...

I'm on bc too and don't really like it. Some of them have made me soooo moody. The one I am on now seems okay but I wish I didn't have to take them! Hope it gets worked for you! See ya soon!

Bliss Doubt said...

I hope never to get anybody into trouble with my experimental ways, but I've always resisted the pill, because it messes with your hormones, because I smoke, and just because I don't want to put up with regularly scheduled doctor appointments over it. The last time I was in a relationship I used juniper berries, 12 of them daily, swallowed whole with orange juice. I'd read about them in several herbal lore books. The native americans called them "bastard killers". The pre-missionary Hawaiians used papaya seeds, but I don't know how many per day. Anyway, the juniper berries worked for me for a long time until we broke up, 100 percent. If you don't find them readily, Whole Foods will order them bulk for you. Also, the Today Sponge can be bought on the website BirthControl.com

Good luck.

MJC said...

Wow, thanks for all the comments guys!

Health & Happiness ~ I know just what you mean about the pill giving you flu-like symptoms, because after a while it really felt like that for me too. I just felt like a sick person. It was horrible. Glad you are off them now!

Bliss Doubt ~ Juniper Berries?! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard, but you've intrigued me! I mean, the fact that it worked for you and it's a completely natural method is pretty awesome! I may try it.

Katie said...

Sorry you've been having so many troubles with your pills! It should NOT give you a freaking migraine, yuck.

I've been curious about that trader joe's PB&J bar... do you like it?

MJC said...

Katie ~ No, I actually HATED it, which is weird because their stuff is usually good! Clif's mojo dipped pb & j bar is much better!

Maggie said...

I'm a little late on this, but I HATE birth control. It screwed up my hormones so so much :( I had post pill amenorrhea - and I still have it (I went off of them last April).

MJC said...

Maggie ~ Sorry to hear that! I have yet to hear a happy birth control story from anyone and after my latest fiasco with them, I don't think I could ever go on them again either. :(