Monday, December 28, 2009

After Christmas fun... December 28th

I've been so down about everything lately... not feeling well, the up-coming move, the boyfriend drama, etc. So I decided to treat myself... Today I was uptown for a salon appointment anyway, so for lunch I went to check out a restaurant I've heard a lot about. It's called TAO (on East 58th St. & Park Ave.), and it's supposed to be the most popular asian restaurant in Manhattan (not to mention, one of the most expensive!). The atmosphere is what you are paying for, not to mention the fancy food presentation! But I must say, I was impressed!

The restaurant is VERY dark, so it's not particularly picture friendly. However, this is the main attraction of the restaurant... big buddha! (Look close and you'll see it... hopefully!)


I started with the bamboo steamed vegetable dumplings... These were good, although I've had better (YES, at Wild Ginger, lol). And they are overpriced for what you get.


Then I got their imperial vegetable egg roll. Now I know $10 seems outrageous for an egg roll, but this was a HUGE portion. Literally 2 or 3 times the amount of egg roll that you get at other restaurants, so it was actually more of a main course. Plus it was really delicious, so I can definitely justify the high price tag! (I also really liked the duck sauce that came with it. I didn't even touch the spicy mustard sauce on the other side, because I didn't even need or want to!)


But the real star of this show are their desserts... particularly their GIANT fortune cookie. And GIANT is the operative word because this thing is huge. They stuff it with white and dark chocolate mousse and serve it with berries. I have one word to describe this masterpiece... incredible!


Is this restaurant overpriced? Yes. But the food is good and it's a fun experience. Apparently a big scene between Big and Carrie from Sex and the City was filmed here, and I can see why! ;)

After lunch I had an appointment at the hair salon. I've been going to the Roy Teeluck salon for quite a while now. They do a fabulous job and I have been to some of the best salons in the city... but they always give you freebies (like today I got a free conditioning treatment!), and the colorists, stylists, etc. are wonderful! Here are some pictures I took of myself on the cab ride home! (Again the lighting is not great, sorry!)



I also got one last photo of the tree when I passed by it in the cab!


When I got home Peanut was just waking up from his nap...


And later on my Aunt and Uncle stopped by to drop off some Christmas goodies from Upstate (since we couldn't make it this year). Grandma really knows how to bake!


This week I'm going to busy with apartment hunting, and this Friday I'm attending a blog lunch in Soho, so definitely check back for that! That's all for now, my lovelies!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hair looks great :) I wish my salon gave freebies like that! ;)

<3 <3

MJC said...

^^Thank you! Believe me, it isn't finding a salon in NYC that gives away freebies, but I did my research. Search citysearch.com. They usually list salons with coupons or special offers!

SociallyGreen said...

hi marina. i love your blog! i'm actually visiting nyc for new year's. any tips on being in ny during the snowy days? i'm excited though!

cutie kitty!

MJC said...

^^Thanks! I just answered your question on your blog! :)

Anonymous said...

i love your new hair.
your hair is so nice and thick, mine is so thin :( but it's naturally like that. runs in the family maybe?
enjoy your grandma's goodies. i would never miss out on that

MJC said...

^^Thank you and yes, I do have VERY thick hair. It runs in the family (my Italian side).

Katie said...

Your hair looks gorgeous! I need to find a new salon in the city.

Good luck apartment hunting!

MJC said...

^^Thank you. I can recommend lots of good salons if you're interested!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I've been following your blog for a while and always wondered something...do you dine out at restaurants alone or with friends? I have yet to dine out in nyc by myself. I always get so self-conscious. Anyway, your hair looks gorgeous!

MJC said...

^^Hi Anon! Most times I dine out by myself. I know what you mean about feeling self-conscious, but really no one cares if you think about it. Sometimes I prefer eating by myself actually! But it all depends. Thanks!!

JMay said...

Your hair looks great! Apartment hunting must be so much fun in NYC :-)

Such a cute blog you have here...

xo.

MJC said...

^^Thank you! "Fun" isn't the word for it. It would be fun if you were rich, but it's not so much so when you are not! lol

Anonymous said...

aww yay I am so glad you found my blog so I could refind yours :D

sorry to hear about boy drama but good for you for treating yourself! you deserve it :)

MJC said...

^^Thanks honey! Yes, I don't think I'm going to date again until I'm 35. lol