Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A tour of Italy... December 23rd

Well, not really, but let me explain! I am not on death's door by any means, but I am not feeling well, so I figured that I should break down and go to the doctor. However, finding a doctor that accepts my health insurance is about as easy as finding a needle in a haystack. But lo and behold, I managed to do it after spending a long time on the phone yesterday. And the doctor's location was all the way downtown between Little Italy and Chinatown. I am familiar with the area however because Wild Ginger is just a block or so away. So the upshot is I'm okay, and will just be taking antibiotics for a few days. But I decided to make the most of my crappy day by going downtown early and having lunch in Little Italy! This Italian girl was right at home. :) And I noticed that Little Italy was one of the only areas of Manhattan this year that got decked out for Christmas. I decided to go to Florio's (on Grand St. b/w Mott & Mulberry), because they had two of my favorite things on their menu-- mozzarella sticks and pasta with vodka sauce! :)

I was thrilled to see actual Italian bread on the table. The good kind. I just had one piece though, to save room!


Then I had 3 out of the 4 mozzarella sticks. These were very good, but I've had better.


For my main course I had rigatoni alla vodka. This was good, but I was already pretty full, so I couldn't eat that much of it.


Florio's was a good restaurant, the service was excellent, and they even gave me a free refill on my coke. They knew how to take care of an Italian girl... the owner was a little too touchy feely with me though! lol They also had the most beautiful Christmas decorations... the picture doesn't do it justice!! (This was just from where I was sitting, but the whole restaurant and basically all of Little Italy was covered in lights!)


There's a product that I've been wanting to do a review of for a while... It's Cascadian Farm's chocolate chip granola bars. These are THE BEST granola bars I've ever had. They're hardly a health food, but not bad for you either... all organic ingredients. They are just so delicious... I love the fiber dark chocolate almond ones too, so look out for those as well! Ok, not much of a review, but I don't know what else to say about them except to try them! :)


And there's always room for Peanuts! :) His winter coat has grown in... notice how he's fluffier?



More to come in the next few days with Christmas and all. Mom is making rum cake, so look out! lol

9 comments:

Diana said...

Feel better!

Little Italy must be fun (and pretty) this time of year. Last time I was down there was the Feast of San Genarro. So many fried oreos, of all things!

Anonymous said...

RUM CAKE! is it BOOZY!??!

HHAHAHA that's what everyone says! i just look crazy young! someone thought i was 16!

=D
xoxo.

MJC said...

Diana ~ Thank you! Fried oreos?! OMG, even I wouldn't eat that and I LOVE oreos, cookies, basically anything chocolate. lol

Traynharder23 ~ Mom's rum cake has quite a bit of booze in it, although it's not as boozy as some. You do look 16. It's amazing!

Anonymous said...

i'd love to go to little italy, sounds so cute!
have yourself a well rested chrsitmas this year love
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I hate doctors... I'm glad you're okay, though! :)

<3 <3

Katie said...

Yikes, sorry you're still so sick! Glad the doctor gave you antibiotics.

Florio looks amazing! And good for you for knowing your way around... even though I'm a born-and-raised New Yorker, I get totally lost in lower Manhattan!

Merry Christmas!

MJC said...

Blueeyedheart ~ I hate going to the doctors too. In fact, I avoid it like the plague!

Katie ~ I've lived in Manhattan for nearly 3 years now, but at first I didn't know my way around at all. It certainly isn't easy!! But it's far easier than a lot of places because it's divided into sections. Lower Manhattan is definitely more confusing though!

Jenny said...

Italian food is my FAVORITE! this place sounds phenomenal :)

lynn said...

i hope you feel better soon!!! merry xmas!